2018 Nominee – Ian Kennedy
Team: Kansas City Royals
DOB: December 19, 1984
High School: La Quinta HS (Westminster, CA) College: USC
Baseball History: Ian Kennedy was drafted by the New York Yankees in the 1st round of 2006 draft and debuted on September 1, 2007. In addition to the Yankees, he has played for the Arizona Diamondbacks before moving to the Padres in 2013. In 2016, Ian joined the Kansas City Royals.
Baseball Awards: Diamondbacks pitcher of the year for 2010.
Career Stats (as of 5/14/18):
Community Service related to military/veterans:
While with the Royals (2016-18)
- In 2017 and 2018, Ian and his wife, Allison, have hosted different community groups in a suite to enjoy the game, and early batting practice, at each Saturday home game. The Kennedys put an emphasis on military organizations by inviting eight (8) different groups that support military, Veterans and Law Enforcement (VFW, USO, Folds of Honor, Whiteman Air Force Base, TAPS, SAFE etc.).
- The Kennedys provide the tickets, catered meal and a Royals gift from the Team Store.
- In addition, Ian and Allison meet with the group to welcome them to Kauffman Stadium.
- During the off-season, the Kennedys have also made personal financial donations to Folds of Honor, Honor Flight Network of KC, SAFE and the USO.
- Ian joined other teammates to meet and greet with Veterans prior to a games in 2016 & 2017.
While with the Padres (2013-2015)
- While with the Padres, Ian and Allison routinely hosted families from deployed Navy Ships in the San Diego area. These events include 4-5 families from a deployed ship where they met Ian, watched batting practice and watched the game in a fully catered suite. Ian and his wife covered the full cost of the experience and Allison joined the families for each game.
- The Padres hosted a care package stuffing party where 1000 packages were assembled for Sailors and Marines from local bases deployed overseas. Ian visited the volunteers to thank them and signed autographs.
- Also with the Padres, Ian participated in a local Military Housing summer BBQ to thank service members and sign autographs.
Community Service (not military related)
- The Surviving Spouse And Family Endowment Fund (SAFE) honored Kennedy with the Lifetime Membership due to his support of their organization which honors local fallen police and fire fighters.
- Ian has supported several Royals Charities initiatives including the on-field gala Diamond of Dreams, the annual Broadcast Auction, and other events.
- Ian joined the Royals to provide items to families in need at the Johnson County Christmas Bureau in both the Winters of ’16 & ’17.
- Ian and Allison also joined the Royals at the City Union Mission Men’s Center during the Thanksgiving Celebration. Since then, they went back as a family to provide and serve meals at the Men’s and Family Center.
- Brother-in-law serves in US Navy